Sifted Cake Flour – 3 cups
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Shortening – 1 cup (Shortening is a semisolid fat, made from vegetable oils, used in food preparation)
Granulated Sugar – 2 cups, divided
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Clear Vanilla – 2 tsp
Almond Extract – 1/2 tsp
Egg Whites – 6, at room temperature
Cream of Tartar – 1 tsp
To make the Creamy Frosting:
1. Combine 3 tblsp of all purpose flour and 1 cup milk in medium saucepan.
2. Stir over low heat until thickened.
4. Beat 1 cup of softened butter in large bowl until creamy.
5. Add 1 cup powdered sugar, beat until fluffy.
6. Blend in 1 tsp vanilla.
7. Add flour mixture. Beat until thick and smooth.
To make the Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease and flour 2 or 3 round cake pans.
3. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. Beat together shortening with 1 1/3 cups of the granulated sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
5. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
6. Blend in flavorings.
7. Beat egg whites in separate bowl at medium speed with electric mixer until foamy.
8. Add cream of tartar.
9. Beat at high speed until soft peaks form.
10. Gradually beat in the remaining 2/3 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
11. Fold into flour mixture.
12. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
13. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
14. Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
15. Loosen edges and remove to racks to cool completely.
16. Fill and frost with creamy frosting.