With our Eggless Date and Walnut Cake recipe, indulge in the irresistible combination of sweet dates, crunchy walnuts, and a moist, flavorful cake. This delightful dessert is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth and impressing your guests.
The star of this recipe is the date paste, made by blending chopped dates, sugar, yoghurt, and milk until smooth. This paste adds a natural sweetness and a luscious texture to the cake. Combined with the richness of vegetable oil and the lightness of yoghurt, the result is a moist and airy cake that will melt in your mouth.
Adding chopped walnuts not only adds a delightful crunch but also enhances the overall flavour profile of the cake. The warm notes of cinnamon and a touch of salt perfectly balance the sweetness of the dates and create a harmonious blend of flavours.
Whether enjoyed on its own or accompanied by a drizzle of caramel sauce, a dollop of whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, our Eggless Date and Walnut Cake is sure to impress. It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion, from family gatherings to dinner parties.
Eggless Date and Walnut Cake
- 1 cup Chopped Dates
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt (Curd)
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Maida (All-Purpose Flour)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon optional
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- In a food processor or blender, combine the chopped dates, sugar, yogurt (curd), and milk.
- Blend until you achieve a smooth paste. If needed, add a little more milk to get the desired consistency.
Mixing the Batter:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and dust it with flour to prevent sticking.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and the date paste until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon (if using), and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing gently until you get a smooth and airy batter.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts, reserving a few for garnish.
Baking the Cake:
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle the reserved chopped walnuts on top for a beautiful presentation.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for approximately 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice the cake and serve it as a delightful dessert on its own.
- For an extra special touch, serve the Date and Walnut Cake with a drizzle of caramel sauce or a dollop of whipped cream. You can also pair it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a truly indulgent experience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative?
Yes, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Make sure to choose a combination labelled explicitly as a 1:1 substitute for all-purpose flour. This will ensure that the texture and consistency of the cake remain the same.
Can I use different nuts instead of walnuts?
Absolutely! Suppose you prefer a different nut flavour or have allergies to walnuts. In that case, you can easily substitute them with your nut of choice. Pecans, almonds, or hazelnuts would all be great alternatives. Just chop them into small pieces before folding them into the batter.
Can I make this cake in advance?
Yes, you can make the Date and Walnut Cake in advance. Once it has cooled completely, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you prefer to make it even earlier, you can freeze the cake for up to 1 month. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I use a different type of oil instead of vegetable oil?
Certainly! While vegetable oil works well in this recipe, you can also use other neutral-flavoured oils, such as canola or sunflower. Just ensure that the oil you choose has a mild taste so it doesn’t overpower the different flavours in the cake.
How can I make this cake more festive for special occasions?
To make the Date and Walnut Cake Delight more festive, dust it with powdered sugar or decorate it with a cream cheese frosting. Adding a cinnamon sprinkle or a chocolate ganache drizzle can also elevate the presentation. Consider serving it with fresh berries or a scoop of homemade fruit compote for special occasions.
What are some suitable pairings for the Date and Walnut Cake Delight?
The Eggless Date and Walnut Cake Cake pairs well with hot tea or coffee, making it a perfect afternoon treat. For a more indulgent experience, serve it with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of warm caramel sauce. If you’re looking for a contrasting flavour, a tangy lemon glaze or a dollop of tangy cream cheese frosting would complement the sweetness of the cake beautifully.