1 1/2 cup Self-raising flour
1 tbsp Instant coffee powder
200 gms Dark chocolate, chopped
2 cups Fine sugar
250 gms Butter
1 1/2 cup Hot water
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
For the chocolate icing:
125 gms Dark cooking chocolate
125 gms Unsalted butter
1. Sift the flour and coffee together.
2. Place the chocolate in a small pan, along with the sugar, butter and water and heat gently over a pot of simmering water, until the chocolate and butter melt; cool, then pour into a blender.
3. Gradually add the sifted flour into the blender and beat altogether.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla and beat well.
5. Spoon the batter into a greased and lined cake tin about 10″ in diameter and bake in a moderate oven at 160C/325F for about 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Let it stand for about 5 minutes before turning it out.
6. Melt the chocolate and butter in a small pan over a pot of simmering water, and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour the icing over the cold cake and spread it smoothly. With a fork, mark graves for a decorative finish.