A classic Christmas cake is a rich, moist fruit cake and is traditionally served as part of the festive meal.
It has its roots in the Victorian era where it was created by cooking fruitcake with alcohol, butter, sugar and eggs. Traditionally, it’s made up of dried fruit, candied peel and nuts with a rich syrup.
It has a rich, moist, dense, and fruity flavor. The cake contains raisins and currants, giving it an almost fruity taste. This combination of flavors makes it perfect for any festive occasion.
Classic Christmas Cake Recipe
Ingredients for Classic Christmas Cake
- 100 g Plain Flour
- 150 g Raisins
- 150 g Sultanas
- 50 g Dried Apricots chopped
- 500 g Dried Figs chopped
- 100 ml Sweet Wine
- Zest of 1 Orange finely grated
- 60 g Butter unsalted
- 100 g Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg large, beaten
- 30 to 40 g Honey mixed with a little water
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice Powder
- a pinch Clove Powder
- 100 g Walnuts coarsely chopped
How to make Classic Christmas Cake
- Add the dried fruits to a large bowl.
- Pour the wine and add the orange zest.
- Cover and keep aside for 8 hours or overnight.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs and honey.
- Mix until combined.
- Add the flour, clove powder and mixed spices.
- Add the soaked fruits and nuts.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to a greased cake tin lined with parchment paper.
- Place the tin into a preheated oven at 150C and bake for 2 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove and cool.
- Cut into slices and serve.
- Stays good for a few days if stored in an airtight container.