Chocolate Swiss Rolls are easy to prepare and can be made with just a few simple steps. They are the perfect dessert to serve any time of the day, not just in the morning.
A Chocolate Swiss Roll, also known as a chocolate roll, is a type of cake that is made with layers of sponge cake and chocolate cream. This dessert originated in Switzerland and was originally called the Sachertorte, but the name was changed to Swiss Roll in England due to mispronunciation.
Chocolate Swiss Rolls are commonly served at tea time or for dessert. It is often enjoyed while still warm so that the outside of the cake becomes crisp while the inside remains soft.
This delicious and tasty Swiss Roll is perfect for any special occasion like Christmas, birthday party, afternoon tea or even for a sunday lunch. A great cake that both kids and adults will love.
Chocolate Swiss Roll Recipe
Ingredients for Chocolate Swiss Roll
- 2 Eggs large
- 3 to 3 1/4 tblsp Caster Sugar
- 2 1/4 tblsp Maida (Plain Flour)
- 1 1/4 tblsp Cocoa Powder - 1 1/3 tblsp
- 1 1/2 tblsp Blackberry Jam - 1 1/2 tlsp or any other jam of choice.
- 150 ml Double Cream whipped
How to make Chocolate Swiss Roll
- Combine and whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl till light and frothy.
- Add the flour and cocoa.
- Mix well and transfer them to a greased swiss roll tin lined with baking parchment, spreading it evenly.
- Place the tin in a preheated oven at 220C and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until it begins to shrink from the edges.
- Remove and invert the cake onto a sugared baking parchment.
- Peel off the parchment from the cake and trim the edges.
- Roll up the cake firmly with the parchment inside and keep aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, warm the jam in a pan till spreading consistency is achieved.
- Gently unroll the cake and remove the parchment.
- Spread the jam and cream.
- Re-roll and cut into slices.