Have you ever wondered if you can bake a home made cake without an oven? It is easy to bake a cake without an oven and with the equipment we use every day – a pressure cooker. Yes, you heard it right! Our recipe makes it easy to bake a basic cake in a pressure cooker without much fuss.
You will think that ovens are overrated once you try this homemade cake recipe using a pressure cooker. I’m not saying that ovens are unnecessary, just that you wouldn’t need an oven to make and enjoy a simple cake at home. In many instances, one would crave a spongy, soft, simple piece of cake but couldn’t eat one simply because they lack an oven. With this homemade cake recipe, throw that worry out of the window and start treating yourself to these simple pleasures of life.
All you need is essential baking ingredients like flour, sugar, whole eggs, salt, milk, baking powder, unsalted butter, and sour cream, and the right way to mix the wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl. One tip that makes this cake perfect is adding the dry and wet ingredients separately, as adding them together at one go may lead to tiny lumps that may affect the cake’s texture.
Additionally, using high-quality virgin olive oil instead of regular vegetable oil can enhance the flavour and moistness of the cake. It is also important to use room temperature ingredients, as this helps the batter mix evenly and reduces the risk of over-mixing and over-baking. Be sure to set out your ingredients at least 1 hour before beginning to ensure they are at the proper temperature.
And for the perfect finishing touch, top your homemade cake with a delicious vanilla buttercream or cream cheese frosting! In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Home Made Cake
- 1 cup Plain Flour (Maida) approx 150 gms
- 1 cup Sugar powdered
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Milk 120 ml
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- pinch Salt
- 1.5 cups Crystal Salt/ Sand for base
- Let the butter soften until it is mashable with a spoon.
- Combine sugar and butter together using a hand or electric whisk/beater. Whisk well until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the maida, salt and baking soda, ensuring no lumps.
- Gradually add this to the egg mixture, alternating with milk. Stop whisking and fold this mixture gently with a spatula until all the batter is fully incorporated and smooth. Do not over beat.
- Add vanilla essence and blend well.
- Take a cake tin and grease it with some butter or oil. Sprinkle some maida on a greased baking tin.
- Pour the prepared mixture into the tin and place it in the prepared pressure cooker over the pot holder/ring.
- Cover the cooker with the lid (without the gasket and weight).
- Bake on low flame for 50-60 minutes.
- To test, put in a knife, it should come out clean, showing that it is fully baked.
- Take it out and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, invert the cake on a wire rack and let it cool fully before slicing it.
- Use a heavy bottom aluminum cooker or pressure pan.
- Cover the base completely with salt/sand.
- Place a plate over the salt/sand.
- Place a ring/ vessel holder over this.
- Remove the gasket and weight from the lid.
- You can garnish this with icing sugar or whipped cream.
- For a chocolate cake, add 2tbsp of cocoa to the flour mix and sift to remove all lumps. Add an additional 2 tbsp of sugar (optional)
- You can also add choco-chips, nuts and dry fruits to the cake batter while baking.
This baking method can be used for similar dishes like chocolate cake, fruit cake and even a savoury like handvo. The traditional handvo vessel is an aluminium container with a base to heat sand. We have used this method for many years to make a cake at home. It would be a unique doughnut (donut) shaped cake with a hole in the middle. We can line the pan with parchment paper (or butter paper) to ensure the cake doesn’t stick to the pan.
While baking with a pressure cooker, you need to remember a few points, and you are all set to master the most straightforward baking recipes.
- Ensure you use a heavy-bottomed cooker or pressure pan made of aluminium/indium. They are ideal for conducting the high heat. Steel may not be effective.
- Spread salt or sand at the cooker’s base to amplify heat conduction. The cake vessel should not come directly into contact with this.
- Do not use water, as we are creating a tandoor-type environment.
- Remove the gasket and weight from the lid.
- Avoid washing, rinsing, or adding other liquid/material to the cooker after baking. Let it cool down naturally before attempting to clean it.
Baking is not new in Indian cuisine. Tandoori food made using a tandoor (a baking style) has been around for centuries. So, without much ado, let’s go ahead and bake a simple, delicious and easy homemade bundt cake recipe ideal for any occasion, including birthdays, that can also be used as a base for making other cake varieties.
The method below uses a pressure cooker/pan; you do not need a microwave oven to make a bundt cake. If you’re craving some gooey chocolate cake and don’t have the time and patience to prepare the elaborate ones, try this easy birthday bundt cake recipe topped with rich chocolate buttercream frosting!
You can also switch it up and make a delicious Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Drizzle using this bundt cake as the base. Serve it with your favorite frosting or vanilla ice cream as a dessert at house parties and get-togethers. Remember to add some sprinkles on top for a fun and festive touch to your homemade birthday cake!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Homemade Cake
What are the essential ingredients to make a cake at home?
The essential ingredients to make a cake at home include flour, sugar, butter or oil, eggs, baking powder or soda, milk or water, and flavourings such as vanilla extract. These ingredients form the foundation of a cake recipe and can be customized to create different flavours and variations.
Can I use whole wheat flour instead of plain flour in the Home Made Cake recipe?
You can substitute whole wheat flour for plain flour in the Home Made Cake recipe. Whole wheat flour adds a nutty flavour and increases the nutritional value of the cake. However, whole wheat flour may have a denser texture than all-purpose flour. To make the substitution, use the same amount of whole wheat flour mentioned in the recipe and proceed with the rest of the instructions. You may need to adjust the baking time slightly, as whole wheat flour requires more baking time. The resulting cake will have a slightly different taste and texture but still, be delicious and wholesome with the added benefits of a whole wheat flour mixture.
Depending on the flour texture and quality, you may need to add more or less water to achieve the desired consistency of the batter. Tap the pan on the countertop a few times to release any extra air bubbles, and the batter spreads itself evenly in the greased pan. For a lighter and fluffier cake, you can use egg whites instead of whole eggs, making it a white cake instead of a traditional vanilla cake. This will create a perfectly white cake that will impress with its soft, light crumb from cake flour.
Can I make the homemade cake without eggs?
You can make an eggless version of the Home Made Cake using suitable egg substitutes. Instead of eggs, you can use ingredients like yoghurt, applesauce, mashed bananas, or silken tofu as replacements. These substitutes help provide moisture and binding properties similar to eggs. When using yoghurt or applesauce, use 1/4 cup for each egg.
For mashed bananas or silken tofu, use 1/2 cup for each egg. Experiment with these alternatives to find the perfect eggless version of the homemade cake that suits your preferences, including the delicious and moist vanilla cake with a side of ice cream. Remember that the texture and taste may vary slightly, but the cake will still be enjoyable.
The taste of these substitutes will also make the cake taste different. Thus, when baking the cake in your oven, it is essential to keep an eye on it and not open the oven door until ¾ of the cake is baked. Opening and closing the oven door often can make your cake sink or collapse. When the eggless vanilla cake cools, remove it gently from the pan. Place it on a board, tray plate or a cake stand.
A rotating cake stand makes applying the glaze most effortless. Place some of the jam icing on top and use a spatula to spread the glaze evenly on top and sides of the cake.
For a delicious and easy homemade vanilla cake recipe, try this one with a tender and moist crumb and just the right amount of sweetness. It can be enjoyed with vanilla buttercream or cream cheese frosting for a perfect treat.
Can I make this cake in an oven instead of a pressure cooker?
You can bake the homemade cake in a regular oven instead of a pressure cooker. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, the recommended oven temperature mentioned in the recipe. Grease the cake tin with butter or oil and sprinkle some flour to prevent sticking. Pour the prepared cake batter into the 9-inch round cake pans and place them in the preheated oven on the middle rack. Bake at the specified time or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes clean.
Each oven may have slight temperature variations, so keep an eye on the cake and adjust the baking time if needed. Baking the homemade cake in round cake pans in a regular oven at 350 degrees F allows for even heat distribution and consistent results.
Follow the recipe instructions and enjoy a delicious homemade lemon cake, made by substituting a teaspoon of lemon extract and a teaspoon of lemon zest for the vanilla extract, baked to perfection in 9-inch cake pans placed on a wire cooling rack. The top crust should be golden, indicating that the cake is ready to be served.