Ever wondered if you can bake a home made cake without an oven? It is easy to bake a cake without an oven and with an equipment we use everyday – pressure cooker. Yes, you heard it right! With our recipe, it is quite easy to bake a basic cake in a pressure cooker without much fuss.
Once you try this homemade cake recipe, you would simply think that ovens are so overrated. I’m not saying that ovens are not needed at all, just that to make and enjoy a simple cake at home, you wouldn’t need an oven. There are so many instances that one would just crave a spongy, soft, simple piece of cake, but wouldn’t be able to eat one simply because they lack an oven. Now, with this homemade cake recipe, just throw that worry out of the window and start treating yourself to these simple pleasures of life. All you need is some basic baking ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, salt, milk, baking powder, and the right way to mix the wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl. One tip that makes this cake perfect is adding both of them together at one go may lead to tiny lumps that may affect the texture of the cake. Additionally, using high-quality virgin olive oil instead of regular vegetable oil can enhance the flavor and moistness of the cake.
This method of baking can be used for many such similar dishes like chocolate cake, fruit cake and even a savory like handvo. In fact, the traditional handvo vessel is an aluminum container that comes with a base to heat sand. For many years, we have used this method to make a cake at home. It would be a unique doughnut (donut) shaped cake with a hole in the middle. To ensure that the cake doesn’t stick to the pan, we can line the pan with a parchment paper (or butter paper).
While baking with pressure cooker, you just need to keep in mind a few points and you are all set to master the most simplest of baking recipes.
- Ensure you use a heavy bottomed cooker or pressure pan made of aluminium/hindalium. They are ideal for conducting the high heat. Steel may not be effective.
- Spread salt or sand at the base of the cooker to amplify the conduction of heat. The cake vessel should not directly come in contact with this.
- Do not use water as we are creating a tandoor type environment.
- Remove the gasket and weight from the lid.
- Avoid washing or rinsing or adding any other liquid/material to the cooker after baking. Let it cool down naturally before attempting to clean it.
Baking is not new in Indian cuisine. Tandoori food that is made using a tandoor (a style of baking) has been around for centuries. So, without much ado, let’s just go ahead and bake a simple, delicious and easy home made chocolate cake recipe ideal for any occasion that can also be used as a base for making other cake varieties. Learn how to make cake at home in a pressure cooker as the method given below uses a pressure cooker/pan and you do not need a microwave oven to make a cake. If you’re craving some gooey chocolate cake and don’t have the time and patience to prepare the elaborate ones, then try this easy recipe! You can serve this chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream as a dessert at house parties and get-togethers.
Home Made Cake
- 1 cup Plain Flour (Maida) approx 150 gms
- 1 cup Sugar powdered
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Milk 120 ml
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- pinch Salt
- 1.5 cups Crystal Salt/ Sand for base
- Let the butter soften until it is mashable with a spoon.
- Combine sugar and butter together using a hand or electric whisk/beater. Whisk well until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the maida, salt and baking soda, ensuring no lumps.
- Gradually add this to the egg mixture, alternating with milk. Stop whisking and fold this mixture gently with a spatula until all the batter is fully incorporated and smooth. Do not over beat.
- Add vanilla essence and blend well.
- Take a cake tin and grease it with some butter or oil. Sprinkle some maida on a greased baking tin.
- Pour the prepared mixture into the tin and place it in the prepared pressure cooker over the pot holder/ring.
- Cover the cooker with the lid (without the gasket and weight).
- Bake on low flame for 50-60 minutes.
- To test, put in a knife, it should come out clean, showing that it is fully baked.
- Take it out and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, invert the cake on a wire rack and let it cool fully before slicing it.
- Use a heavy bottom aluminum cooker or pressure pan.
- Cover the base completely with salt/sand.
- Place a plate over the salt/sand.
- Place a ring/ vessel holder over this.
- Remove the gasket and weight from the lid.
- You can garnish this with icing sugar or whipped cream.
- For a chocolate cake, add 2tbsp of cocoa to the flour mix and sift to remove all lumps. Add an additional 2 tbsp of sugar (optional)
- You can also add choco-chips, nuts and dry fruits to the cake batter while baking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Home-Made Cake
What are the basic ingredients to make a cake at home?
The basic ingredients to make a cake at home include flour, sugar, butter or oil, eggs, baking powder or soda, milk or water, and flavorings such as vanilla extract. These ingredients form the foundation of a cake recipe and can be customized to create different flavors and variations.
Can I use whole wheat flour instead of plain flour in the Home Made Cake recipe?
You can substitute whole wheat flour for plain flour in the Home Made Cake recipe. Whole wheat flour adds a nutty flavour and increases the nutritional value of the cake. However, whole wheat flour may have a denser texture than all-purpose flour. To make the substitution, use the same amount of whole wheat flour mentioned in the recipe and proceed with the rest of the instructions. You may need to adjust the baking time slightly, as whole wheat flour requires more baking time. The resulting cake will have a slightly different taste and texture but still be delicious and wholesome. Depending on the flour texture and quality, you may need to add more or less water to achieve the desired consistency of the batter. Tap the pan on the countertop a few times so that any extra air bubbles are released, and the batter spreads itself evenly in the greased pan.
Can I make the Home Made Cake without eggs?
You can make an eggless version of the Home Made Cake using suitable egg substitutes. Instead of eggs, you can use ingredients like yoghurt, applesauce, mashed bananas, or silken tofu as replacements. These substitutes help provide moisture and binding properties similar to eggs. When using yoghurt or applesauce, use 1/4 cup for each egg. For mashed bananas or silken tofu, use 1/2 cup for each egg. Experiment with these alternatives to find the perfect eggless version of the Home Made Cake that suits your preferences, including the delicious and moist vanilla cake. Remember that the texture and taste may vary slightly, but the cake will still be enjoyable. The taste with these substitutes will also make the cake taste different. Thus, when baking the cake in your oven, it is important to keep an eye on it and not open the oven door until ¾ of the cake is baked. Opening and closing the oven door many times can make your cake sink or collapse. When the eggless vanilla cake cools, remove it gently from the pan. Place it on a board, tray or plate or a cake stand. A rotating cake stand makes applying the glaze easiest. Place some of the jam icing on top and use a spatula to spread the glaze evenly on top and sides of the cake.
Can I make this cake in an oven instead of a pressure cooker?
You can bake the Home Made Cake in a regular oven instead of a pressure cooker. Preheat your oven to the recommended oven temperature mentioned in the recipe. Grease the cake tin with butter or oil and sprinkle some flour to prevent sticking. Pour the prepared cake batter into the cake pan and place it in the preheated oven on the middle rack. Bake at the specified time or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes clean. Each oven may have slight temperature variations, so keep an eye on the cake and adjust the baking time if needed. Baking the Home Made Cake in a regular oven allows for even heat distribution and consistent results. Follow the recipe instructions and enjoy a delicious homemade cake baked to perfection. The top crust should be golden, indicating that the cake is ready to be served.