Pachai Arisi (extra long-grained rice) – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 2, roughly chopped
Salt – 1 tsp
Fresh Coconut – 1/2 cup, grated
Oil – 2 tblsp
Curry Leaves – 3
Black Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
1. Wash the rice and dal separately.
2. Soak the rice in 3 cups of water for about 2 hours.
3. Soak the dal in enough water to cover.
4. Drain rice completely.
5. Grind rice, cumin seeds and green chillies with 1 cup of water to a coarse consistency. Transfer to a bowl.
6. Drain dal and mix it into the ground rice.
7. For the tempering, put the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
8. When the oil is hot, add the curry leaves, mustard seeds and urad dal.
9. Fry over medium heat, till mustard seeds splutter and dal is golden, for about 30 seconds.
10. Add the ground rice and moong dal and salt to the pan.
11. Pour about 1 1/2 cups of water into the pan.
12. Simmer covered, stirring frequently over medium heat, till the rice is cooked.
13. Add coconut and mix well.
14. Let the mixture cool.
15. Shape into small lemon-sized balls and steam cook for 10 minutes before serving.