Undrallu or Kudumulu is a popular dish made during Ganesh Chaturthi. They are steamed rice balls made with rice flour and is very similar to Kozhukattai (Modak). In Andhra Pradesh, this is called as Kudumulu.
These are also made during Navratri festival and offered as a prasadam during Varalakshmi pooja.
Ingredients for Undrallu
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 2 tblsp Channa Dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tblsp Ghee
- 2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Coconut Grated
How to make Undrallu
- Soak the rice for 2 hours.
- Drain the excess water and dry them in a dry white cloth.
- When the rice is completely dry, blend them in a mixer as a fine powder.
- This can be stored in an air tight container too.
- Wash and soak the channa dal for 1/2 hour.
- Drain the excess water and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with ghee under medium flame.
- Add the channa dal for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the required water and salt to it.
- When it starts to boil, reduce the flame to low.
- Add the rice rava to the boiling water and keep stirring them to avoid any lumps.
- Cook the mixture until the water is fully absorbed.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring until the water is absorbed.
- Remove from flame. If you are using coconut, add them now and mix well.
- Cover and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Knead the mixture to form a dough.
- Make small balls and arrange them in a greased plate.
- Heat a idly streamer or pressure cooker and steam cook them for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Undrallu (Kudumulu) is ready to serve hot.