Vella Kozhukattai or Mothagam is a popular and traditional Vinayaka Chaturthi sweet made with rice flour, grated coconut and powdered jaggery.
Vella Kozhukattai is a must have dish in all households across Tamil Nadu. In North India, this dish is called Modak.
Vella Kozhukattai Recipe
Ingredients for Vella Kozhukattai
- 250 g Jaggery
- 250 g Raw Rice
- 1 Coconut
- 2 Cardamoms
- 1 tsp Oil
- little Salt
- 1 tsp Ghee
How to make Vella Kozhukattai
- Grate the coconut and keep aside.
- Powder the cardamoms and jaggery, separately, and keep aside.
- Grind the rice to a smooth flour.
- Heat some water (1 cup) of water in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the jaggery and stir well until fully dissolved.
- Add the coconut and mix well, ensuring it does not stick to the bottom.
- When it starts to leave the sides of the pan, add the cardamom powder and ghee.
- Mix well and remove.
- Gradually pour 3/4 to 1 cup of hot water (adjust as required) to the rice flour and mix well.
- Sprinkle some salt and mix to a chapati dough consistency.
- Using greased palms, make small balls of the dough and shape it into small cups.
- Add some of the filling and fold well.
- Seal the edges with little water.
- Steam cook the prepared kozhukattai (mothagam) in a greased idli plate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve.