Kai Murukku is one of the most popular South Indian snacks. A classic dish, it is traditional made for special occasions and festivals. An integral part of the “seer bakshanam” for South Indian weddings and other celebrations at home, the technique of making this is passed down from generation to generation.
Kai Murukku Recipe
Ingredients for Kai Murukku
- 2 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal dry roasted and ground
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 100 g Ghee
- as per taste Salt
- as required Oil for frying
How to make Kai Murukku
- Combine the rice flour, dal flour, salt, cumin powder and pepper powder in a bowl.
- Add ghee and mix well.
- Add enough water and knead well to a thick, pliable dough.
- Keep a bottle cap in the middle of a wet, clean, white cloth.
- Take some dough and form twisted spirals around the bottle cap.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Take out each murukku carefully and fry them till light golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Store them in a dry airtight jar.
- Serve as a snack or as a side dish.