Pattani Sundal is a typical South Indian snack dish. Made using dried white peas, this is an anytime snack and is often made during Navratri festival. Legumes are a healthy addition to our food and this can be served as an after-school snack for children. A very simple but nutritious sundal recipe.
Pattani Sundal (White Dried Peas Sundal) Recipe
Ingredients for Pattani Sundal (White Dried Peas Sundal)
- 250 g Dried White Peas (Vella Pattani)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Coconut grated (adjust as required)
- pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chillies broken
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 3 to 4 Green Chillies chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- Oil as required
- Salt as per taste
How to make Pattani Sundal (White Dried Peas Sundal)
- Soak the peas in water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and transfer to a pressure cooker with turmeric powder and enough water.
- Pressure until 2 or 3 whistles or until soft.
- Heat little oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the mustard seeds, red chillies and asafoetida powder for 20 seconds.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for another 30 to 45 seconds.
- Add the cooked peas and a pinch of salt.
- Cook until all moisture has evaporated.
- Add coconut and mix well.