Rice Payasam is a South Indian dessert prepared with rice and milk. It is often served with ghee and sugar/jaggery. Traditional recipes for Rice Payasam usually call for the milk to be boiled over a stovetop, before being mixed with rice, sugar, and sometimes other flavours such as cardamom or vanilla.
Traditional Arisi Payasam is prepared by boiling milk along with sugar cane juice. This gives the dish a sweet taste. Cashew nuts, raisins or sultanas are added to the rice before adding milk and sugar. Coconut gratings are also used for flavour and sweetness whereas cashew nuts are added for texture.
Rice Payasam Recipe
Ingredients for Rice Payasam
- 1 cup Broken Rice
- 1/2 cup Jaggery grated
- 2 1/2 cup Thin Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Thick Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Cardamoms ground
- few Cashewnuts
- few Raisins
How to make Rice Payasam
- Clean and wash the rice.
- Cook it in the thin coconut milk till the rice becomes soft.
- Add jaggery and stir till it dissolves.
- Roast the cashewnuts and raisins separately and keep aside.
- Pour in the thick coconut milk and bring to a boil, slowly.
- Remove from fire and garnish with cashewnuts, raisins and cardamom powder.