It has a silky texture and taste of sweetness from jaggery. The addition of ghee or coconut milk makes it rich and creamy.
It is usually served cold, but can also be served warm or hot.
The dish has many variations that are made with different types of rice, lentils, and spices.
Moong Dal Payasam (Pasi Paruppu Payasam / Moong Dal Kheer) Recipe
Ingredients for Moong Dal Payasam (Pasi Paruppu Payasam / Moong Dal Kheer)
- 200 g Moong Dal
- 200 g Jaggery
- 2 cup Condensed Milk
- 2 to 3 tsp Ghee
- little Cardamom Powder
- few Saffron Strands
How to make Moong Dal Payasam (Pasi Paruppu Payasam / Moong Dal Kheer)
- Dry roast the moong dal and remove.
- Rinse the roasted dal and pressure cook with enough water until 2 to 3 whistles.
- Heat a pan over medium flame.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and add the jaggery.
- Stir well until fully dissolved.
- Once dissolved, strain this mixture and add to the cooked dal.
- Place it over low flame and simmer for a minute.
- Add the ghee, condensed milk and cardamom powder.
- Stir well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from flame.
- Garnish with saffron strands.
- Serve hot or chilled.