Ragi Kozhukattai is a healthy variation of the traditional Ganesh Chaturthi Kozhukattai. Ragi is an extremely nutritious grain rich in iron, protein and minerals. This is a healthy twist to the regular modaks.
Ragi is a type of millet that is grown in India. The flour from this grain is used to make dishes like ragi dosa and ragi idli. Apart from being a staple food for many locals, it has impressive health benefits.
It has been found by researchers that ragi flour can be used to prepare cereal flour for people with gluten intolerance. The gluten found in the cereal flour is considered to be lower than other cereals.
- 2 cup Ragi Flour
- 6 to 8 tbsp Jaggery
- 2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 5 tsp Ghee
- as required Water
For the Stuffing:
- 1 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 to 4 tbsp Sesame Seeds Roasted
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- a pinch Cardamom Powder
- To prepare the outer shell, heat a pan and add little water to dissolve the jaggery.
- Add the grated jaggery and let it completely dissolve in water .
- Filter the jaggery water and keep it aside.
- To another pan, add ghee and melt it.
- Reduce the flame, add the ragi flour and roast it.
- After a nice aroma, switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Heat water in a pan and add them to the ragi flour.
- Keep stirring and pour water gradually.
- Make sure no lumps are formed.
- When the flour turns sticky, add ghee and cardamom powder to it and mix well.
- Bring this mixture to boil in low flame to remove excess water.
- Cook until the mixture leaves the side of the pan.
- Add the jaggery syrup and cook in low flame only.
- Keep stirring until the water is absorbed.
- Switch off the flame and cover it.
- Cool the mixture completely and knead them to a soft dough.
- To make the stuffing, add the grated jaggery and water to a pan.
- Dissolve them completely and filter them.
- Heat it again,add the grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Cook until the mixture turns thick and forms like solid.
- Remove from flame and add the roasted sesame seeds.
- To make the kozhukattai, from the prepared dough, make small balls and flatten them.
- Keep the stuffing inside and seal them.
- Steam them in the idly steamer for 10 minutes.
- Do not over them since the ragi flour is already cooker well.
- Serve them hot.