Karuppu Kondakadalai Sundal or Black Chana Sundal is a simple and tasty sundal made on the auspicious occasion of Navratri and offered as a prasadam to the deities and given as snack to guests.
Black chickpeas are soaked overnight and cooked. They are then mixed with grated coconut, spices and seasonings.
Karuppu Kondakadalai (Black Chickpeas) Sundal Recipe
Ingredients for Karuppu Kondakadalai (Black Chickpeas) Sundal
- 250 g Karuppu Kondai Kadalai (Black Chickpeas/Black Chana)
- 4 to 5 tsp Bengal Gram Dal
- Salt as per taste
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 cup Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- few Curry Leaves
- little Asafoetida
- Oil as required
How to make Karuppu Kondakadalai (Black Chickpeas) Sundal
- Soak the kondakadalai for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain well and add to a pressure cooker with enough water.
- Add little salt and pressure cook until 2 whistles.
- Soak the bengal gram dal and sesame seeds for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Drain and combine with coconut and dry red chillies.
- Add enough water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add this to the cooked chickpeas and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Fry the tempering ingredients for 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas and mix well.
- Cook for a minute.
- Remove and serve.