Moong Dal Payasam is a traditional payasam/kheer variety across South India especially in Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
Moong Dal – 200 gms
Jaggery – 200 gsms
Condensed Milk – 2 cups
Ghee – 2 to 3 tsp
Cardamom Powder – little
Saffron Strands – few, to garnish
1. Dry roast the moong dal and remove.
2. Rinse the roasted dal and pressure cook with enough water until 2 to 3 whistles.
3. Heat a pan over medium flame.
4. Add 1/4 cup of water and add the jaggery.
5. Stir well until fully dissolved.
6. Once dissolved, strain this mixture and add to the cooked dal.
7. Place it over low flame and simmer for a minute.
8. Add the ghee, condensed milk and cardamom powder.
9. Stir well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Remove from flame.
11. Garnish with saffron strands.
12. Serve hot or chilled.