Kollu (Horse Gram) – 1/2 cup, soaked for 2 hours and drained
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Gingelly Oil – 2 tsp
Garlic – 4 cloves, chopped
Dry Red Chillies – 5
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece, peeled
Tamarind Extract – 2 cups
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the mustard seeds, fenugreek, coriander seeds and 4 red chillies in another bowl.
2. Drain the water and grind together with kollu and ginger to a coarse paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Add the red chilli, curry leaves, garlic, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and tamarind extract.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Add the ground paste and stir well.
7. Simmer for 45 seconds and bring to a boil.
8. Remove from flame and serve with rice or as a side dish to dosai or idli.
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.
Image credit: spiceindiaonline.com