A delicious and traditional Onam Sadhya dish made with Raw Plantain and Curd. You can also use Pineapple or Elephant Yam.
Raw Banana – 1/2 cup, peeled, chopped
Curd – 2 cups, lightly beaten
Green Chillies – 3, slit
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coconut – 1/2 cup, grated
Cumin Seeds – a pinch
Salt as per taste
For the seasoning:
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – little
Dry Red Chillies – 2, broken
Curry Leaves – few
1. Heat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water in a pan.
2. Add the chopped raw bananas, green chillies, red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder.
3. Simmer for a minute or two.
4. Grind the coconut with cumin seeds to a smooth paste.
5. Add this to the pan and mix well.
6. Gently bring this to a boil and reduce flame to low.
7. Gradually add the curd, stirring all the time.
8. Ensure it does not curdle.
9. Remove the pan from flame.
10. Heat oil for seasoning.
11. Fry the seasoning ingredients for 30 seconds and pour over the banana mixture.
12. Serve hot.