This is a special item prepared on a particular festival day in TamilNadu. It is served with Thiruvadirai Kootu.
Rice – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1 1/2 cups, powdered
Water – 2 1/2 cups
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tblsp
Moong Dal – 1 tblsp
Coconut – 1 cup, grated
Cashewnuts – few
Cardamom Powder – little
Ghee – little
1. Dry roast the rice, bengal gram dal and moong dal separately.
2. Grind the rice to a rava like consistency.
3. Sprinkle a little water and mix well.
4. Steam cook the rice and keep aside.
5. Pressure cook the dals with enough water till 2 whistles.
6. Add enough water to jaggery and mix until fully dissolved.
7. Strain to remove any impurities and place over medium flame.
8. Bring to a boil.
9. Add the rice, dals, coconut and little ghee.
10. Stir well.
11. Fry the cashewnuts in little ghe.
12. Add to the kali along with cardamom powder.
13. Mix well.