A simple and popular sundal made during festivals like Navratri and served as a snack.
Dried White Peas – 250 gms
Coconut – 1/4 to 1/2 cup, grated (adjust as required)
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2, broken
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Green Chillies – 3 to 4, chopped
Curry Leaves – few
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the peas in water for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain and transfer to a pressure cooker with turmeric powder and enough water.
3. Pressure until 2 or 3 whistles or until soft.
4. Heat little oil in a pan over medium flame.
5. Fry the mustard seeds, red chillies and asafoetida powder for 20 seconds.
6. Add green chillies and curry leaves.
7. Fry for another 30 to 45 seconds.
8. Add the cooked peas and a pinch of salt.
9. Cook until all moisture has evaporated.
10. Add coconut and mix well.