White Chickpeas Sundal or Vella Kondakadalai Sundal is a very popular sundal variety in Tamil Nadu. The festival of Navratri is not complete without sundals and if you are short of time, then this sundal is the best option for you.
Chickpeas Sundal or Chana Sundal is very easy to make. It requires minimal ingredients and can be made in a jiffy for those unannounced guests at home.
It is also an ideal evening snack for children.
Vella Kondakadalai Sundal / White Chickpeas Sundal Recipe
Ingredients for Vella Kondakadalai Sundal / White Chickpeas Sundal
- 2 cup Vella Kondakadalai (White Chickpeas)
- 2 inch Ginger peeled
- 4 to 5 Green Chillies
- 1/4 cup Coconut grated
- 1/4 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- few Curry Leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Oil as required
How to make Vella Kondakadalai Sundal / White Chickpeas Sundal
- Soak the chickpeas overnight or for 8 hours minimum.
- Drain well and rinse once or twice.
- Add little salt and enough water.
- Pressure cook until 1 whistle.
- Coarsely grind the ginger and green chillies.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Fry the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves for 20 seconds.
- Add the onions and saute for a minute.
- Add the ginger and green chillies.
- Stir well.
- Drain the chickpeas and add to the pan.
- Stir to mix well.
- Just before removing, add the coconut and mix well.
- Cook for a minute.
- Remove from flame and serve.