Also known as Thenkuzhal murukku, this is a popular diwali snack. A crispy snack from South India, Thenkuzhal are also made during weddings and other festivals or special occasions.
Raw Rice – 1 kg, ground
Urad Dal – 250 gms, ground
Butter – 75 to 100 gms
Cumin Seeds – 2 tblsp
Salt – 2 tblsp
Asafoetida Powder – 2 tsp
Oil – 500 ml
Water as required
1. Sieve the rice flour and dal flour separately.
2. Combine them together with salt, asafoetida powder, cumin seeds and mix well.
3. Add butter and mix well.
4. Make balls of the dough and add them to a thenkuzhal maker.
5. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
6. Gently squeeze the thenkuzhal press and fry on both sides till light golden brown.
7. Remove and drain excess oil.
8. Store in an airtight container.
9. Serve as a snack.
Tip: Use coconut oil for best results.