Sattur Kara Sev or Garlic Kara Sev is a signature dish of Sattur, a small town in Virudhunagar district of Tamil Nadu.
Made with gram flour, rice flour and spices, it is flavored with garlic which gives its distinct taste. This delicious crispy savory snack can be served as a snack or with coffee or tea.
This traditional South Indian snack is popular during Diwali and other festive occasions.
Sattur Kara Sev
- 2 cup Rice Flour
- 2 cup Gram Flour
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- as required Oil as required
- as per taste Salt as per taste
- 4 to 5 Garlic Cloves crushed and minced
- Combine the rice flour, gram flour, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, salt, asafoetida powder, minced garlic and red chilli powder in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil and add to the bowl.
- Mix well.
- Pour enough water and mix again to a soft but stiff dough.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Add some of the dough to a murukku press.
- Gently squeeze over the hot oil and fry until light golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Serve as a snack.