Ladies Finger Pachadi is a very simple and tasty dish usually served alongside rice dishes.
Also known as Vendakkai Pachadi in the South and Bhindi Pachadi in the North, it is also called as Okra Pachadi in places outside India.
The ladies finger pachadi is a staple dish made during festivals like Onam, Diwali and special occasions like wedding or any traditional celebration in South India.
Making this side dish is pretty easy as it takes less than 15 to 20 minutes to make and requires simple, everyday ingredients.
Ladies Finger Pachadi Recipe
Ingredients for Ladies Finger Pachadi
- 250 g Ladies Finger / Bhindi / Okra
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- 3/4 cup Thick Curd
- as per taste Salt
How to make Ladies Finger Pachadi
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and temper them.
- Add the chopped ladies finger, turmeric powder and fry well.
- In a bowl, mix the curd and salt.
- Add the fried ladies finger and serve them.
As with any recipe in India, there are a few variations to this dish too. Some of them are:
- Vendakkai Mango Pachadi – Raw mangoes are chopped and added at step #3 alongwith 2 tsp of powdered jaggery.
- Vendakkai Sweet Pachadi – To the regular pachadi, 50g of powdered jaggery are added.