Navratri is just around the corner and Navratri is not complete without sundals. This white chickpeas sundal is very popular and simple to make.
Vellak Kondakadalai (White Chickpeas) – 2 cups
Ginger – 2 inch piece, peeled
Green Chillies – 4 to 5
Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Onions – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight or for 8 hours minimum.
2. Drain well and rinse once or twice.
3. Add little salt and enough water.
4. Pressure cook until 1 whistle.
5. Coarsely grind the ginger and green chillies.
6. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
7. Fry the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves for 20 seconds.
8. Add the onions and saute for a minute.
9. Add the ginger and green chillies.
10. Stir well.
11. Drain the chickpeas and add to the pan.
12. Stir to mix well.
13. Just before removing, add the coconut and mix well.
14. Cook for a minute.
15. Remove from flame and serve.