Vella Seedai is a traditional South Indian sweet made by deep-frying a dough made of rice flour, jaggery and butter in oil. It is typically made during the festival of Krishna Jayanthi and during Diwali as well.
- 2 cup Rice Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1/2 Coconut grated
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- a pinch Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp Butter
- for frying Oil
- Dry roast the urad dal until light brown and grind to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Mix enough water with jaggery and make a thick syrup.
- Strain to remove impurities.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and make a thick, pliable dough (like a chapati dough).
- Make small balls from this dough and keep aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Fry the prepared balls until crisp and brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Store in an airtight container.