Vegetable Adai is a close cousin to Dosa and is very popular in South India. This is a delicious & nutritious dish made with mixed vegetables. Serve with coconut chutney or avial for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This dish is perfect for the little kids who refuse to eat vegetables. You can incorporate almost any vegetable and they would not notice.
At the same time it is also relatively easy to make this as all you need is just the batter.
Vegetable Adai Recipe
Ingredients for Vegetable Adai
- 1 cup Adai Batter
- 1/2 cup Grated Carrot
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 1/2 cup Spinach finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp Green Chillies
- tsp Cumin Powder
- as Required Oil
- as per taste Salt
For Adai Batter:
- 1 cup Rice - 1
- 1/4 cup Toor Dal
- 1/4 cup Chana Dal
- 4 Red Chillies
- 2 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 tbsp Moong Dal
- few Curry Leaves
- little Asafoetida
- as per taste Salt to Taste
How to make Vegetable Adai
- To make the adai batter, take a bowl, add the rice, chana dal, toor dal, red chillies, curry leaves.
- Wash them in water for 2 or 3 times.
- Add the urad dal, moong dal and water.
- Add water until all the lentils are soaked properly.
- Rest it for 4 hours.
- Take a blender and add all the soaked lentils along with asafoetida and salt.
- Blend them to a coarse paste.
- Adai batter is ready to cook.
- Add the vegetables, ginger, garlic, green chillies, cumin powder, salt to the batter.
- Mix them thoroughly using water.
- Heat a dosa tawa in medium flame.
- Grease it with oil.
- Pour the prepared batter and spread them gently.
- Add oil around the edges.
- Once cooked on one side, flip over and cook the other side.
- Serve hot with any chutney or podi.