Mochai Sundal is one of the sundal varieties made during Navratri.
Unlike other sundal varieties, this is not a regular sundal that is made often. Rich in protein, it is highly nutritious and is made during as an offering to the goddess during navratri festival and served as a snack to guests.
It is also a delicious and healthy evening snack for children.
In some places, chopped onions are also added. If you prefer, you can add it or you can omit it from the recipe.
- 4 cup Butter Beans (Mochai)
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/3 cup Oil
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Coconut grated
- 10 Red Chillies split into two
- as per taste Salt
- a pinch Asafoetida
- Wash the beans. Clean and soak overnight.
- Next day, wash again 4-5 times.
- Heat a pan with water over modeate heat.
- Add the drained beans. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, strain the extra water and keep a little with the beans.
- Add salt.
- Stir well and cook till the salt mixes well.
- Remove and empty the contents to a strainer.
- Heat the oil on a heavy bottomed pan over moderate heat.
- Fry the mustard seeds and red chillies.
- Add cooked beans.
- Make a thick solution of asafoetida with water.
- Pour it over the cooked beans.
- Garnish with curry leaves and grated coconut.
- Serve as a snack to guests coming to Navratri golu.
Image Credit: Radhika Ramesh