Bean-thread Vermicelli – 30 gms, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
Oyster Mushrooms – 250 gms (or shiitake), finely chopped
Peanut or Vegetable Oil – 2 1/2 tblsp
Celery Stalk – 1, finely diced
Carrot – 1, finely diced
Spring Onions – 2, finelyy chopped
Cabbage – 1 1/2 cups, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 1/2 tsp, grated
Garlic – 1 tsp, crushed
Bean Sprouts – 1 cup, chopped
Light Soy Sauce – 1 1/2 tblsp
Spring Roll Wrappers – 12 large or 24 small
Oil for deep frying
1. Drain the vermicelli and chop finely.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Stir-fry the celery, carrot and spring onions for a minute.
4. Add the cabbage, garlic and ginger. Fry for a minute.
5. Add the mushrooms, bean sprouts and vermicelli.
6. Continue to stir-fry over high heat until the vegetables are cooked.
7. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper.
8. Remove and transfer to a plate to cool.
9. Place a spring roll wrapper diagonally on a board.
10. Add a portion of the filling in one corner and roll over.
11. Fold in the sides and shape filling into a roll.
12. Roll up firmly.
13. Moisten the tip with cold water and press firmly to close.
14. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
15. Deep fry the rolls until golden brown.
16. Remove and drain excess oil.
17. Serve hot.