Chicken Wings – 6, large
White Sugar – 1/4 cup, fine
Fish Sauce – 3 tblsp
Ginger – 1 tblsp, finely shredded
Spring Onions – 2, finely sliced
Bean Sprouts – 2 cups
Sugar – 3 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Rice Vinegar – 2 tblsp
Red Chilli – 1, small, deseeded and finely chopped
Lettuce Leaves – 2, large and shredded
1. Separate the chicken wings at the joints and keep aside.
2. Melt the sugar in a pan and gently cook until golden brown.
3. Remove and add the fish sauce and 2 tblsp of water.
4. Return to the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Add the chicken wings, shredded ginger, white parts of spring onion and some of the greens.
6. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes, turning the wings from time to time.
7. Cook until the sauce is reduced to a sticky glaze.
8. Blanch the bean sprouts in boiling water and drain well.
9. Place in a glass bowl and cover with iced water.
10. Keep aside for 10 minutes and then drain.
11. Add the sugar, salt and vinegar.
12. Add the remaining spring onions and chilli.
13. Mix well.
14. Place the lettuce on a serving plate and cover with the bean sprouts.
15. Place the chicken wings on top.