Also known as Beach Sundal, this is a sundal variety is popular during Navratri festival because of its ease of making. Commonly found in Chennai Marina beach, this is made using dried white peas, green chillies, green mangoes and coconut.
Dried White Peas (Pattani) – 1 cup
Green Chilli – 1
Fresh Ginger – a small piece
Coconut – 2 tblsp, grated
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Asafotida Powder – a pinch
Red Chilli – 1, broken
Curry Leaves – few
Salt – as per taste
Green Mango – 1 or 2 tblsp, grated or finely sliced
Coconut – 1 tblsp, chopped
1. Soak the peas for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain and rinse once.
3. Add some more water and pressure cook with a pinch of salt for 4 to 5 whistles.
4. When the pressure has reduced, remove and drain the excess water.
5. Keep aside.
6. Grind the green chillies, ginger and grated coconut to a fine paste.
7. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
8. Fry the mustard seeds for 10 seconds.
9. Add urad dal and red chillies.
10. Add the asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
11. Cook for 30 seconds and add the cooked dal.
12. Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
13. Add the ground paste and stir until mixed.
14. Switch off the flame.
15. Garnish with mango and coconut.
16. Serve at once.