Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal is also known as Madras Beach Sundal. Going to the marina beach is not complete without having a bite of the sundal that is sold by numerous vendors. Infact a lot of people just go to the beach only for this sundal. This recipe allows you to recreate the same sundal but at the convenience of your home. It is not only a simple and easy to make snack, it is also a popular sundal that is made during Navratri festival and given to guests that come to see the golu. This is made using dried white peas, green chillies, green mangoes and coconut.
Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal
Ingredients for Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal
- 1 cup Dried White Peas (Pattani)
- 1 Green Chilli
- a small piece Fresh Ginger
- 2 tblsp Coconut grated
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- a pinch Asafotida Powder
- 1 Red Chilli broken
- few Curry Leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 1 to 2 tblsp Green Mango grated or finely sliced
- 1 tblsp Coconut chopped
How to make Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal
- Soak the peas for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse once.
- Add some more water and pressure cook with a pinch of salt for 4 to 5 whistles.
- When the pressure has reduced, remove and drain the excess water.
- Keep aside.
- Grind the green chillies, ginger and grated coconut to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the mustard seeds for 10 seconds.
- Add urad dal and red chillies.
- Add the asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
- Cook for 30 seconds and add the cooked dal.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Add the ground paste and stir until mixed.
- Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with mango and coconut.
- Serve in small cups.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !