A traditional Christmas trifle with vanilla custard, cream and fruitcake.
Any Fruitcake or Christmas Cake – 100 gms, sliced
Cranberry Sauce – 75 gms
Icing Sugar as required
Vanilla Custard – 250 gms (available readymade in supermarkets)
Rum as per taste
Whipped Cream – 125 ml
Chocolate Buttons (Gems preferably) – few to garnish
Nuts – few, chopped, to garnish
Mixed Fruits (Strawberries, Raspberries, Grapes, Oranges, Apple) – chopped (optional)
1. Place the cake slices in the bottom of a bowl.
2. Mix the cranberry sauce with enough icing sugar and spoon over the cake.
3. Add a splash of rum to the custard and pour into the bowl.
4. Top up with whipped cream.
5. Decorate with nuts or chocolate buttons.
6. Serve at once.
You can also make this in advance. After step #3, keep the bowl in the fridge. Just before ready to serve, add the whipped cream and serve.
If you are using fruits, place them on top of each layer.