Chicken Thigh Fillets – 800 gms
Taro (Colocasia) – 450 gms, cut into 1 1/2 cm cubes
Fish Sauce – 2 tblsp
Vegetable Oil – 1/3 cup
Pickling Onions – 4, small, cut in half
Lemongrass – 1 stem, roughly chopped
Garlic Cloves – 3, sliced
Mild Curry Powder – 1 1/2 tblsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1, small
Curry Leaves – 10 (optional)
Coconut Cream – 400 ml
Mint Leaves – to garnish
Salt as per taste
1. Cut each chicken thigh fillet into 3 pieces.
2. Season with half of the fish sauce and keep aside for 10 minutes.
3. Heat half of the oil in large pan.
4. Brown the chicken over high heat, turning several times.
5. Remove to a plate.
6. Add the remaining oil and brown the onions.
7. Add the garlic and lemongrass. Fry briefly.
8. Return the chicken, sprinkle on the curry powder and add the cinnamon stick, curry leaves and remaining fish sauce.
9. Stir to coat the chicken with the spices and then addd the coconut cream, 1 cup of water, taro cubes and a large pinch of salt.
10. Cover and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes, until chicken is tender and taro is cooked through.
11. Adjust seasoning.
12. Garnish with mint leaves.