Kara Boondi is a simple, tasty and crunchy South Indian snack. It is like a mixture and is a popular any occasion snack. Traditionally this is made during festivals like Diwali, Krishna Jayanthi or Navratri.
Bengal Gram Flour – 4 cups
Rice Flour – 1 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Cashewnuts – 1 tblsp, chopped and roasted
Peanuts – 1 tblsp, chopped and roasted
Curry Leaves – 1 bunch, chopped
Butter – 1 tblsp
Oil for deep frying
Salt as per taste
1. Mix bengal gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, asafoetida and salt.
2. Add butter and mix well.
3. Dilute them in water and obtain a thick batter.
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Pour the batter through boondi plates holding it 3 to 4 inches above the oil.
6. Deep fry in batches of small balls.
7. When it turns golden yellow in colour, remove it from oil.
8. Mix peanuts, cashewnuts and curry leaves with the kara boondi.