Tikha Gathiya (Teekha Gathiya) is a popular Gujarati tea time snack. Gathiya is a spicy and crunchy deep fried savoury made with gram flour, ajwain and various spices. It is an excellent snack for kids and during travel.
It is equivalent to the South Indian sev / ompodi with the difference being the addition of few spices, masala powders and is a bit more thicker than sev.
This is usually served with chutneys or pickles in Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- 1 cup Gram Flour
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- a small pinch Baking soda
- a pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- for deep frying Oil
- as required Water
- as per taste Salt
- Take a large bowl and seive gram flour, red chilli powder, pepper powder, baking soda, turmeric powder, ajwain, salt and 1 tsp oil.
- Gradually add water and mix into a smooth dough.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium flame till hot.
- Meanwhile take a handy mould (used to make thick sev with big holes) and fill it with a small portion of the dough.
- Gently press the mould in circular motion over the heated oil.
- Fry the strands for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove ghathia from oil after they turn light brown colour and drain excess oil.
- Store them in an airtight container.