Masala Pori or Kara Pori (Spicy Puffed Rice) is a very easy to make, delicious and tasty snack that can be made in very little time. Made out of puffed rice, it is a common snack across Tamil Nadu often served as a snack during tea time or as an evening snack. It is a guilt free snack and is packed as office snack or school snack too.
Masala Pori (Kara Pori) Recipe
Ingredients for Masala Pori (Kara Pori)
- 2 cups Puffed Rice (Pori)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- handful Fried Peanuts
- 1 or 2 Red Chillies
- little Mustard Seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- as required Ompodi (Sev)
- as required Kara Boondi
- as required Oil
How to make Masala Pori (Kara Pori)
- Heat a little oil in a pan.
- Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies for 30 seconds.
- Remove and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and toss well to mix.
- Serve at once or store it in an airtight container.
Variations of this recipe:
As with any Indian recipe, there are numerous local variations to this snack. Some of the popular variations include:
- Masala Garlic Pori (Masala Garlic Puffed Rice): Along with the ingredients above, add crushed garlic cloves and roasted gram.
- Coriander and Mint Masala Pori: Add some coriander leaves and mint leaves to the preparation mentioned above along with chopped mango pieces, lemon juice and onions.
- Puffed Rice Chaat: This is more a North Indian variation similar to a Bhel Puri. Sweet Chutney, Green Chutney, Carrot, Onions, Cucumbers and Tomatoes are added.