Coconut – 2 1/3 cups, grated
Granulated Sugar – 2 2/3 cups
Egg Yolks – 1, beaten lightly
Refined Flour – 1 cup
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg/Green Cardamom – 1/4 tsp
Ghee- 3/4 cup, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
2. Extract 1 cup of thick coconut milk by grinding the coconut with 1 cup warm water.
3. Grind the coconut again with 1 cup warm water and extract 1 cup of thin coconut milk.
4. Dissolve the sugar in the thin coconut milk in a pan over low heat.
5. Keep aside to cool.
6. Mix in the egg yolks, a little at a time.
7. Stir in the thick coconut milk.
8. Gradually add the remaining ingredients except ghee.
9. Mix till the batter is smooth. Strain.
10. Pour 3 tbsp ghee into a 7 inch round, deep baking tin.
11. Then pour 1 cup batter over the ghee and bake for 10 minutes till set and the top is golden.
12. Pour 1 tbsp ghee over the bakes layer and then 3/4 cup batter, bake or grill again till golden.
13. Continue till all the batter is used up. There should be 7 layers.
14. When cool turn the bebinca out on to a plate.
15. Leave to set for at least 12 hours before slicing.