2 cups maida (plain flour)
1/4 cup rice flour
2 tbsp. rice flour separate
1/2 tsp. omam seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/5 tsp. asafoetida powder
2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. ghee
Salt to taste
Some dry flour for dusting
Oil to deepfry
- Mix together plain flour and 1/4 cup rice flour.
- Add salt, seeds, 2 tbsp. oil, asafoetida, turmeric, mix well.
- Add enough water to make a not too soft pliable dough.
- Take a pingpong ball sized lump, shape into ball, roll.
- While rolling use dry flour for dusting.
- Roll into a large chappati. Apply ghee on top with back of spoon.
- Sprinkle some rice flour all over.
- Starting from one end, roll into a tight swiss roll.
- Cut into 3/4″ to 1″ thick slices.
- Take one, roll over it lightly once or twice only.
- The pudi shoud just flatten enough to stay together.
- Do not roll to make thin again.
- Place on a clean cloth, to dry a bi.
- Keep aside. Repeat till all dough is over.
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan.
- Let in few pudis at a time in hot oil.
- Fry on med. To low flame till very lightly golden.
- Flip sides and repeat above.
- Drain and keep aside to cool.
- Cool completely before storing.