Raw Rice – 4 cups
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tblsp
Butter – 100 gms
Salt – 1 1/2 tblsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1 tblsp
Oil – 500 ml
White Sesame Seeds – 2 tblsp
1. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain well and spread out to dry in the shade.
3. Grind to a fine powder and sieve well.
4. Dry roast the flour till golden and remove.
5. Sieve again.
6. Dry roast the urad dal and grind to a powder.
7. Soak the bengal gram dal for 30 minutes and drain.
8. Combine the rice flour, urad dal flour, bengal gram dal, sesame seeds, asafoetida powder and salt in a bowl.
9. Add butter and mix well.
10. Gradually add enough water and mix well to a smooth dough. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
11. Make small balls of the dough and keep them on a white cloth.
12. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
13. When the seedai balls have dried, fry them in hot oil till golden.
14. Remove and drain excess oil.
15. Store in a clean jar.
Note: The rice need not be soaked in water. You can make the seedai without soaking the rice too.
You can also use readily available rice flour.