Ompodi, also known as Plain Sev, is a popular Indian snack that is crispy, savoury, and perfect for any occasion. Made with chickpea flour, rice flour, and spices, it is a versatile snack that can be enjoyed on its own or used as a crunchy topping for various dishes.
This crunchy and flavorful snack is a staple in Indian cuisine, often served during festivals and celebrations. The texture and taste of Ompodi make it an irresistible snack that people of all ages can enjoy.
Ompodi (Plain Sev) Recipe
Ingredients for Ompodi (Plain Sev)
- 2 cup Gram Flour
- 3/4 cup Rice Flour - 3/4 cup
- 1 1/2 tsp Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Omam (Ajwain / Carom Seeds) soaked for 1 hour, drain and ground to a smooth paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 250 ml Oil
- as required Water
How to make Ompodi (Plain Sev)
- Sieve the gram flour and rice flour.
- Combine them together with salt.
- Add little water to the ground omam/ajwain paste and strain.
- Add the strained omam/ajwain essence to the flour and mix well with a little water and vanaspati.
- Add some of the dough to an ompodi maker.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium flame.
- Squeeze the ompodi maker over the hot oil.
- Fry till light golden brown and remove.
- Because the ompodi is thin, it is cooked faster. So ensure they do not get burnt.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Serve as a snack.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ompodi (Plain Sev)
How is Ompodi different from other types of sev?
Ompodi is a type of sev made using chickpea flour or besan. It is different from other types of sev because it is plain and contains no spices or flavourings. Ompodi has a crispy and crunchy texture and is often used as a topping for chaats, salads, and other Indian dishes.
Can I make Ompodi without a sev maker?
Although a sev maker is a traditional tool used to make Ompodi, it is possible to make it without one. You can use a piping bag with a star nozzle to create a similar texture, or you can even use a colander to press the dough through and create long strands of sev.
How can I store Ompodi?
Ompodi can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. To keep it fresh and crispy, ensure it is completely cool before storing it, and avoid exposing it to moisture.
Can Ompodi be made ahead of time?
Yes, Ompodi can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container until ready to use. This is especially useful when making chaats or other dishes that require a lot of toppings.
What are some dishes that use Ompodi as an ingredient?
Ompodi is a versatile ingredient that can be used in various dishes. It is often used as a topping for chaats like bhel puri and sev puri, but it can also be used as a garnish for salads, soups, and stews. Additionally, it can be mixed with other spices and ingredients to make a snack mix like chivda or chevdo.