A very popular and healthy South Indian dish, this is a simple stir-fry dish with drumstick leaves, moong dal and grated coconut. Best served as a side dish with rice.
Murungai Keerai (Drumstick Leaves) – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 2 tblsp, soaked in water
Coconut – 2 tblsp, grated
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Jaggery – 1/2 cup, grated
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Raw Rice – 1 tsp
Black Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 1 to 2
Salt as per taste
1. Dry roast the rice, urad dal and sesame seeds for a minute.
2. Remove and add the red chillies.
3. Grind this coarsely and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in the same pan.
5. Fry the mustard seeds until it starts to splutter.
6. Add the murungai keerai, turmeric powder and asafoetida powder.
7. Stir well.
8. Drain the moong dal and add to the pan along with jaggery and salt.
9. Sprinkle a little water and cover the pan with a lid.
10. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
11. Remove the lid and stir again.
12. Add the grated coconut and the ground powder.
13. Mix well and remove from flame.
14. Serve with rice.