Ponnanganni Keerai (or Dwarf Copperleaf) is a highly nutritious spinach variety popular in South India. Rich in iron, calcium and other nutrients it is commonly used in siddha medicines to treat a variety of ailments.
Ponnaganni Keerai – 2 bunches, cleaned, washed, chopped
Coconut – 1/2 cup, grated
Toor Dal – 1/4 cup, cooked
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 5 to 6
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Heat little oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the mustard seeds, urad dal and red chillies for 30 seconds.
3. Add the keerai, salt and little water.
4. Stir well and cover with a lid.
5. Cook over low flame until the keerai is cooked and slightly wilted.
6. Add the coconut and dal.
7. Mix well and remove from flame.
8. Serve as a side dish with hot rice, sambar and rasam.