Tomatoes – 6, large (firm, ripe and red)
Masoor Dal – 1/2 cup
Potato – 1, large
Oil for frying
Flour – a little
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Pepper Powder – a pinch
Mince very fine:
Onion – 1, medium
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Coriander Leaves – a little
1. Cut out the tops and scoop out as much pulp as possible.
2. Smear the insides with some salt, set aside.
3. Boil dal with turmeric powder and just enough water. Do not over cook or allow it to go mushy.
4. Set aside.
5. Boil, peel and mash potato. Mix both together.
6. Heat 2 tblsp oil, add minced ingredients, fry till onions are lightly browned.
7. Add dal-potato mash, continue to fry adding chilli, pepper, garam masala powders and salt.
8. Mix thoroughly, fyr for another 2 minutes, remove and cool.
9. Just before filling, invert tomatoes to remove any juice, shake well, fill with potato-dal mixture, press a little bread crumbs on top of this.
10. Pour a little oil in a non-stick pan, place tomatoes cut side down, reduce heat, cover pan with lid and cook for 2 to 5 minutes or till tomatoes have turned soft.
11. When one side is browned, carefully turn and fry the other side also, till tomatoes have become soft.
12. Serve hot as a side dish.