Molakootal is a popular and traditional Kerala dish made with one or more vegetables. There are numerous variations to this dish. This recipe uses raw banana though you can use other vegetables like pumpkin, ash gourd, bottle gourd, beans, cabbage, spinach or even mixed vegetables.
Raw Bananas – 2
Coconut – 2 cups, grated
Dry Red Chillies – 3 to 4, depending on size
Toor Dal – 2 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida – a pinch
1. Peel the banana skin and chop it into small pieces.
2. Heat a pan of water over medium flame and add the chopped banana pieces.
3. Add the turmeric powder, salt and a pinch of red chilli powder.
4. Pressure cook the toor dal and mash well.
5. Heat little oil in a frying pan over medium flame.
6. Fry the cumin seeds, urad dal dal, red chillies and asafoetida.
7. Add the coconut and stir-fry for a minute.
8. Remove and grind to a smooth mixture.
9. Add the cooked dal and ground coconut mixture to the bananas.
10. Stir well and simmer for a few minutes.
11. Fry the tempering ingredients and add to the pan.
12. Remove from flame.
13. Serve with hot rice and curd pachadi.