Palakkad Sambar is a dish from the Indian state of Kerala made with toor dal and tamarind as the main ingredients. It is served with rice and is popular during Onam festivities. The dish can be prepared in a variety of ways, but most often it is cooked until thick and then seasoned with spices, vegetables and coconut paste.
Palakkad Sambar Recipe
Ingredients for Palakkad Sambar
- 2 to 3 cup Mixed Vegetables chopped
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 6 to 8 Tomatoes chopped
- 3 to 4 Onions
- 1 cup Tamarind Extract
- 1 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 3 to 4 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Bengal Gram Dal
- 2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 8 to 10 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- handful Curry Leaves
- handful Coriander Leaves
- little Asafoetida
- a pinch Turmeric Powder
- as per taste Salt
How to make Palakkad Sambar
- Heat little oil in a pan.
- Fry the coriander seeds, bengal gram dal, fenugreek seeds, red chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves and coriander leaves for a minute or two.
- Add the coconut and fry for another minute.
- Switch off the flame, cool and grind to a smooth paste, adding little water if required.
- Pressure cook the toor dal and keep aside.
- Heat a pan over medium flame.
- Add the chopped vegetables and onions.
- Saute for a minute or two.
- Pour 1 cup of water and simmer until tender.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Add the cooked dal and stir well.
- Add the tamarind extract and tomatoes.
- Add the ground masala and mix well.
- Fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves in little oil.
- Pour over the sambar and stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Switch off the flame and remove.
- Serve hot with rice.