Malabar Fish Curry is a very popular dish from the state of Kerala. A traditional dish of Malabar cuisine, this dish has a distinctive taste with the tamarind and coconut giving it its unique flavour .
This is one of the easiest dish to prepare and goes well with hot, steamed rice.
Commonly touted as a lazy man’s dish, this is perfect for those hot summer days when you feel like lounging in the cool evening breeze enjoying the warm, relaxed end to the day.
The dish is also perfect for any occasion and any time.
Malabar Fish Curry Recipe
Ingredients for Malabar Fish Curry
- 100 g Vanjaram Fish (Seer Fish Fillets)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 50 g Coconut grated
- 2 Green Chillies small
- 1/2 inch Ginger peeled
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 cup Tamarind Extract
- 2 tbsp Sambar Onions (Shallots) finely chopped
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
How to make Malabar Fish Curry
- Grind the coconut and turmeric powder with little water to a fine paste.
- Combine the tamarind extract, red chilli powder, ginger, salt and green chillies in a pan.
- Add the ground coconut paste and mix well.
- Place the pan over medium flame.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the fish and salt.
- Cook for a few minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Fry the tempering ingredients in coconut oil and add to the fish.
- Add the onions and stir gently.
- Remove after a minute.
- Serve hot with rice.