Mullu Murukku (Muthusaram / Mullu Thenkuzhal is a very popular South Indian savoury snack made during Diwali or Krishna Jayanthi. A very easy to make homemade murukku, this is often served as an evening coffee / tea time snack.
Popular with the Brahmin households in the state and outside, it is a cousin to the popular Kai Murukku and Thenkuzhal that is made during the same festive occasion.
Mullu Murukku Recipe
Ingredients for Mullu Murukku
- 2 cup Rice flour
- 1/4 cup Moong Dal
- 1 tblsp Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- as required Oil
How to make Mullu Murukku
- Dry roast the dal and grind together to a fine powder.
- Mix 1 cup of the dal powder with the rice flour.
- Add butter, sesame seeds, red chilli powder and asafoetida powder.
- Add enough water and knead well to a smooth dough.
- Make balls of this dough and add them to a murukku maker with spiky (mullu) plate.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Carefully press the murukku maker over the hot oil, one or two at a time.
- Fry the prepared murukkus till light golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Store in an airtight container.