Crispy Poha Chivda is a beloved Indian snack that strikes the perfect balance between crispiness and spiced goodness. The base of this snack is Poha, also known as flattened rice, which becomes wonderfully crisp when roasted. A medley of ingredients like peanuts accompanies it, roasted Bengal gram, cashew nuts, and more, all fried to a golden perfection. The result is a satisfying snack that’s a staple in Indian households.
This snack is not only delicious but also versatile. You can enjoy it as a quick bite with your evening tea or as a crunchy side during festivities and celebrations. It’s also an excellent option for munching on while watching your favourite movie or sports event.
Crispy Poha Chivda is one of those recipes that effortlessly blends flavours and textures. The roasted Poha provides a delightful crunch, while the nuts add a rich, nutty taste. The spices, including turmeric and green chillies, infuse the dish with a wonderful, aromatic warmth—powdered sugar balances the spiciness, offering a sweet contrast.
For those new to Indian snacks, Crispy Poha Chivda is a great place to start. Its simple preparation and familiar ingredients make it an accessible introduction to Indian cuisine. And for those already acquainted with Indian flavours, this recipe is a must-try if you haven’t already.
Typically they stay good for a month or so as long as it is stored properly.
- 1 cup Poha / Aval
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Roasted Bengal Gram
- 2 tbsp Cashew Nuts
- 2 tbsp Oil
- handful Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chillies - 2 sliced
- a pinch Asafoetida Powder
- 2 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp Dry Coconut Slices
- as per taste Salt
- 2 tbsp Roasted Corn Flakes
- Heat a thick bottomed pan over medium flame.
- Roast the poha for 3 to 5 minutes until it becomes crisp and light golden brown.
- Remove and keep it separately.
- Add 2 to 3 tblsp of oil and fry the peanuts.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Similarly fry all the other ingredients, dry coconut slices, roasted bengal gram, cashew nuts, corn flakes, one by one, until light golden and crispy. Keep aside until required.
- Now add 2 tblsp of oil to the pan.
- Add the curry leaves, green chillies and asafoetida powder.
- Saute for a minute or two.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and sugar.
- After a minute, add all the ingredients and mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Remove the pan and let it cool at room temperature.
- Transfer to an air-tight container.
- Serve as desired.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
What are some suitable pairings for Crispy Poha Chivda?
Crispy Poha Chivda pairs wonderfully with a hot cup of masala chai, making it a classic combination. You can also serve it alongside other Indian snacks like Samosas, Pakoras, or even a bowl of fresh yogurt.
Can I make a larger batch and store it for later?
Absolutely! Crispy Poha Chivda stores well in an airtight container for several weeks. Just ensure it’s completely cooled before sealing to maintain its crispiness.
Are there any variations of this recipe I can try?
Yes, you can experiment with different spices to suit your taste. Some people like to add cumin seeds or mustard seeds for extra flavor. You can also toss in some raisins for a sweet and tangy touch.
Is Crispy Poha Chivda a healthy snack option?
While it’s not a low-calorie snack, it does offer some nutritional value from the nuts and Poha. Just enjoy it in moderation as an occasional treat.
Can I make this snack gluten-free?
Yes, you can make it gluten-free by ensuring all the ingredients, especially the asafoetida powder, are free from gluten contamination. Double-check labels to be sure.
Now, get ready to enjoy the delightful taste of Crispy Poha Chivda, a classic Indian snack that’s both crispy and flavorful. Whether you’re a fan of Indian cuisine or trying it for the first time, this recipe is sure to satisfy your snack cravings.