These are deep fried, crispy, spiral shaped snacks made of rice flour and urad dal. They are usually flavored with asafoetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds and red chilli powder.
It is very easy to make and can be eaten at any time of the day.
- 1 kg Ground Raw Rice
- 250 g Ground Urad Dal
- 100 g Butter
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 2 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 500 ml Oil
- as required Water
- Sieve the rice flour and dal flour separately.
- Combine them together with salt, asafoetida powder, cumin seeds and mix well.
- Add butter and mix well.
- Make balls of the dough and add them to a thenkuzhal maker.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Gently squeeze the thenkuzhal press and fry on both sides till light golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Serve as a snack.