Rolled Oats – 1 cup
Green Gram Dal – 1 1/2 cups
Bengal Gram Dal – 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt to Taste
Cooking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Oil – as desired
Sliced Onions – 2 cups
Thin Tamarind Extract – 1/2 cup
Sambar Powder – 2 1/2 tsp
Grated Jaggery – little
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram dal – 2 tsp
Broken Cashewnuts – as desired
Asafoetida Powder – 2 pinches
Curry Leaves – few
1. Soak Bengal gram dal separately in water for 2 hours.
2. Soak green gram dal with oats for 1 hour in just enough water.
3. Grind Bengal gram dal first in grinder and then with green gram dal to a coarse thick paste.
4. Add salt at the end of grinding.
5. Mix 1 ladle full of hot oil to the ground paste and steam cook like large plate idli for 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Allow to cool and cut the idlis to 1 inch squares.
7. Heat oil in a kadai add seasonings and then sliced onions.
8. Allow to brown, pour tamarind extract along with salt, turmeric, jaggery and sambar powder.
9. Boil for a few minutes add diced idlis and mix well in medium flame until it turns hot.
10. Serve as breakfast or dinner.